Farmers & Ranchers College Year Planned
The Farmers & Ranchers College was formed in January, 2000 with the purpose of providing high quality, dynamic, up to date educational workshops for area agricultural producers in south central Nebraska through a collaborative effort between business, industry and higher education leaders. Furthermore, the Farmers & Ranchers College will provide the tools necessary so that agricultural producers will be able to respond positively to these changes using a profitable decision making process. The Farmers and Ranchers College is a unique opportunity to educate agricultural producers in south central Nebraska.
During the 2010-11 programs, over 400 farmers, ranchers and agricultural industry representatives from ten counties attended the Farmers & Ranchers College programs. Participants for these programs managed over 150,000 acres and indicated that information learned from attending the program was valued at $20/acre with a potential program impact of around $3 million. Contributions and support of area businesses allow participants to attend at no cost, however for programs that have meals, it is requested that people RSVP at least a week in advance for an accurate meal count by calling Fillmore County Extension at (402) 759-3712.
The Farmers and Ranchers College Committee consists of Fred Bruning of Bruning, Bryan Dohrman of Grafton, Sarah Miller of Carleton, Eric Milton of Milligan, Jim Donovan of Geneva, Bryce Kassik of Geneva, Jake Voss of Davenport, Gordy Nuss of Sutton, and Brandy VanDeWalle of Ohiowa.
2011 -2012 Farmers & Ranchers College Programming
- Nov. 30th – “Global Economic Impacts on the Farm & Ranch” Featuring Dr. David Kohl, 1-4 p.m., Bruning Opera House
- Jan. 17th – Cow-Calf College, U.S. MARC near Clay Center from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., registration at 9:30 a.m.*
- Feb. 15th – “Risk Assessed Marketing/Crop Insurance Workshop” Featuring Art Barnaby, KSU with Brad Lubben, UNL at the Fillmore County Fairgrounds – Geneva, NE at 9:00 – 3:30 p.m., registration at 8:30 a.m.*
- Mar. 15th – “Discuss the Undiscussabull” Featuring Elaine Froese, Farm Family Coach – Manitoba, Canada – San Carlos room next to Pour House in Friend, NE with 5:30 registration, 6:00 p.m. meal & program to follow**
* Programs are provided at no cost to the public, but registration is appreciated for a meal count. Please call the Fillmore Co. Extension Office at (402) 759-3712 or email to email@example.com one week prior to the program.
**Preferred to RSVP 2-3 weeks before event to receive free materials prior to the program.