Federal law prohibits children under 16 years of age from using certain equipment on a farm unless their parents or legal guardians own the farm. However, certification received through our course grants an exemption to the law allowing 14- and 15-year-olds to drive a tractor and to do field work with certain mechanized equipment. Teens 14 or 15 years of age who work on farms or others who are interested in learning about safe farming practices are encouraged to register for the course.
- Register for their driving exam date (Tractor and Equipment Safety Course for Young and Beginning Farmers and Ranchers), which costs $25, and
- Register to complete the Hands-On Safety Day (or opt to complete the Online Module) prior to completing the driving exam. Individuals can opt to attend just the Hands-On Safety Day but will not receive certification.
Once a student is registered, they will be sent the course materials and online module link (if applicable). The $25 fee for the driving exam will be collected on site the day of the exam. The onsite driving training and exam will include a driving test and equipment operation and ATV safety lessons. Students must demonstrate competence in hitching and unhitching equipment and driving a tractor and trailer through a standardized course.
Instructors will also offer education about safe behaviors and laws for ATVs, utility-task vehicles (UTVs), and other off-road vehicles (ORVs). These trainings are sponsored by University of Nebraska—Lincoln Extension and Central States Center for Agricultural Safety and Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Public Health.
Hands-On Safety Days
- May 24 – Lincoln County Extension Office, 348 West State Farm Rd, North Platte
- May 26 – Raising Nebraska, 501 East Fonner Park Rd, Grand Island
Tractor Certification Driving Days
- May 25 – Lincoln County Extension Office, 348 West State Farm Rd, North Platte
- June 6 – AKRS Equipment, 49110 US Hwy 20 in O’Neill
- June 7 – Legacy of the Plains Museum, 2930 Old Oregon Trail #8500 in Gering
- June 8 – AKRS Equipment, 44098 Hwy 2, Broken Bow
- June 9 – Adams County Extension, 2975 South Baltimore Ave, Hastings
- June 10 – Cass County Fairgrounds, 8400 144th St, Weeping Water