Crops, Programming

Chemigation Certification Classes

Lately I’ve received several questions from producers wanting to chemigate so this week I’ve shared information from my colleague Randy Pryor in my column. Southeast Nebraska farmers who apply chemicals in irrigation water such as fertilizer or pesticides have an opportunity to certify and obtain a license. According to Saline County Educator Randy Pryor, the meeting is for people who need to renew their chemigation certification or for initial applicants. “The trend has been for more new applicants the past several years,” said Pryor. If you plan to become certified for the first time, please contact the Saline County Extension office (402-821-2151) to pre-register for the training session you plan to attend. We can send study materials prior to the training session which is highly encouraged. All class participants will receive a new chemigation manual and calibration workbook the day of training and should bring a pencil and pocket calculator.


There is sometimes confusion what chemigation really means. By definition, chemigation is defined as “any process whereby chemicals are applied to land or crops in or with water through an on-farm irrigation distribution system” (Title 195, Ch. 1, 003). The regulations apply whether the water is from a surface water source, such as a stream or canal, or ground water from an irrigation well.

The Nebraska Chemigation Law does not apply to people in town, however, there are specific rules on backflow prevention for connections to a public drinking water supply system if you are using public water supply to apply chemicals to the lawn. Contact your town w
Pryor stated there can be benefits associated with chemigation or the use of fertilizer or agricultural chemicals in irrigation water through pivot systems when managed properly. Irrigators understand and recognize the importance of the required safety equipment and attend certification classes every four years to comply with state laws and review environmental stewardship. The operators complete a written exam upon completion of the class. Individual site permits are issued by the respective Natural Resources District (NRD) later for more information.

The following are additional meetings that are located in southern Nebraska:

  • March 5, 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM, Gage County Extension Office, Beatrice.
  • March 11, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM, 4-H Building at the Fairgrounds, York.
  • March 28, 9:00 AM -12:30 PM, Hall County Extension Office, College Park, Grand Island.
  • March 28, 3:00 PM – 6:30 PM, Adams County Extension Office, Hastings.
  • April 11, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM, 4-H Building at the Fairgrounds, York.

Registration is at the door. For additional information, please contact Extension Educators Randy Pryor at (402) 821-2151 or Gary Zoubek at (402) 362-5508.