The Farmers & Ranchers College was formed in January, 2000 with the purpose of providing high quality, dynamic, up to date educational workshops for area agricultural producers in south central Nebraska through a collaborative effort between business, industry and higher education leaders. Furthermore, the Farmers & Ranchers College will provide the tools necessary so that agricultural producers will be able to respond positively to these changes using a profitable decision making process.
The Farmers and Ranchers College is a unique opportunity to educate agricultural producers in south central Nebraska. Nearly four hundred producers from fourteen Nebraska counties and two Kansas counties participated in the 2012-2013 Farmers & Ranchers College programs.
Producers attending these workshops managed over 263,000 acres. Participants surveyed (n=28%) indicated an average of $21.00/acre of knowledge gained from participating for a potential impact of $5.5 million.
Contributions and support of area businesses allow participants to attend at no cost, however for programs that have meals, it is requested that people RSVP at least a week in advance for an accurate meal count by calling Fillmore County Extension at (402) 759-3712.
The Farmers and Ranchers College Committee consists of Fred Bruning of Bruning, Bryan Dohrman of Grafton, Sarah Miller of Carleton, Jennifer Engle of Fairmont, Ryne Norton of York, Jim Donovan of Geneva, Bryce Kassik of Geneva, Gordy Nuss of Sutton, and Brandy VanDeWalle of Ohiowa.
2013 -2014 Farmers & Ranchers College Programming
- November 20, 2013* – Land Leasing Workshop– Shickley Community Building, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. with registration at 8:45 a.m. (Information for young or new farmers will follow the leasing discussion.)
- December 9, 2013 – “Positioning Your Business for Agriculture’s Next Decade” Featuring Dr. David Kohl Professor Emeritus, Dept. of AAEC, VA TECH at the Bruning Opera House – Bruning, NE at 1:00 p.m.
- January 28, 2014* – “Partners In Progress – Beef Seminar” at the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center near Clay Center from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., registration at 9:30 a.m.
- March 18, 2013* – Agricultural Water Update at the Fillmore County Fairgrounds in Geneva from 10 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. with registration at 9:45 a.m.
* Programs are provided at no cost to the public, but registration is appreciated for a meal count. Please call the Fillmore Co. Extension Office at (402) 759-3712 one week prior to the program or email me at email@example.com.